Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Little wars part 3

Here are the last few pictures of Little Wars.

Over the past couple of years I have become a bit nostalgic with my wargaming and I have become a fan of the so called "Old School Wargaming" trend. Reliving the golden age of wargaming when battalions were big 30+ and bounce sticks and canister templates abounded on the games table. Yes the rules sets of a Charles Grant, Donald Featherstone etc. were the thing. It is what I started playing with ( or rulesets of a similar vintage). So the following pictures were a real treat for me. It is true that 54mm toy soldiers is more typical of a game that would have been played by HG Wells rather than Grant who used 25-30mm figures but I think it still captures that "Old School" look and feel.








I am so tempted to do a 54mm army but my problem is that the periods that I am interested in doing in 54mm ( Napoleonic and Seven Years War)I am already working on in 28mm. The other issue is the figures are mainly soft plastic. When I started my wargaming I had a bad experience with Esci British Napoleonics and I swore I would never go back to soft plastic. The larger figures may be better for paint chipping but I am not really game to try. Maybe I will do just a couple of figures down the track just for fun.

These last set of pictures cover another favourite period of mine Pirates Arrrrrr!
This terrific display was run by fellow NWA club members (Spot the blue shirts!) Mark "Fly" Goldyn et al.
I love the number of scratchbuilt ships for this game.











Bye for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment