I recently bought some of the army painter "miracle dip" stain varnish and I have tried it out on a few sample figures with good results. I wanted to get these zulus painted quickly and decided for a basic paint job followed by a coat of army painter stain ( don't dip it, paint it on with an old brush) . The zulus were painted with games workshop acrylics. I used bestial brown for skin, snakebite leather for spear shafts, knobkerries etc. loin cloth was snakebite leather and bleached bone, spear heads were boltgun metal. I suggest you paint the zulus before attaching the shields as it is a lot quicker. Once the shields are attached I painted on the stain varnish and then once dry, gave them a good coat of matt varnish (very important to get a good result using the army painter system).
And ta daaaa! Here they are zulus "thousands of em!"
Once they were painted and set up en masse I have to say they look very good. I was quite surprised how well they came up compared to my opinion of the assembled unpainted figures.
I just need to add some flock and static grass to finish them off. 30 zulus down, now only 270 more to go!!
So in conclusion, I think I would give the plastic zulus a 7 out of 10. A few annoying things about the design of the figures, in particular the shields but they paint up very well and at such a reasonable price I will be buying a lot more of these for my zulu war games. In the future I would probably add just a few empress miniature zulus for chieftains, commanders etc for a bit more variety.
I hope you enjoyed the review.